Drill bits are some of the essential items for any tradesman’s toolbox. Aside from professional use, drill bits help with household maintenance as well, alongside DIY projects. But finding the best drill bits can be quite difficult, daunting even. Fear not – we are here to help. Let us guide you through everything you need to know about drill bits, and by the time you finish reading this, you will be more or less an expert on drill bits.
- Types of Drill Bits
- Famous Drill Bits
- How To Choose The Best Drill Bits
- What To Consider When Buying The Best Drill Bit
- Benefits of Using Drill Bits
- Best Drill Bits Reviews in 2018
- 1. IRWIN TOOLS HIGH-SPEED 29-PIECE METAL INDEX SET
- 2. DEWALT DW1361 TITANIUM PILOT POINT 21-PIECE SET
- 3. DEWALT DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set
- 4. CRAFTSMAN DRILLING AND DRIVING ACCESSORY KIT
- 5. DEWALT DW5207 7-PIECE PREMIUM PERCUSSION MASONRY SET
- 6. Black & Decker 15557 Drill Bit Set
- 7. CO-Z 5pcs Hss Cobalt Multiple Hole 50 Sizes Step Drill Bit Set with Aluminum Case
- 8. BOSCH TI18 18-PIECE TITANIUM TWIST
- 9. TEKTON 2841 ELECTRONIC REPAIR SCREWDRIVER BIT SET
- 10. BOSCH HCBG500 BLUE GRANITE CARBIDE TIP STARTER SET
- Like this:
Types of Drill Bits
A drill bit is a cutting tool that is used for removing material from a hard surface for creating circular holes. They come in all shapes and sizes and are capable of creating different types of holes on different surfaces, such as masonry drill bits, auger bits, Forstner bits, spade bit, abrasive, non-abrasive, compatible will power tools, cordless drills, and so on. Some of the best quality drill bits include:
Spiral or Twist Drill Bits
The most common drill bits used, these are for everyday use, like making holes on not-so-tough surfaces, and can work on both wood and metal.
Named such because of their spade-like flat look, these bits are best suited for making large, deep holes in wood pieces.
The toughest drill bits are these masonry bits that can drill through concrete, cement, tiles, stone, and whatnot.
Just as the name suggests, the best wood drill bits are specially designed for drilling through wood surfaces as they don’t tear or grab the wood and provide with clean holes.
Famous Drill Bits
BOSCH HCBG500 BLUE GRANITE CARBIDE TIP STARTER SET
The HCBG500 Blue Granite Carbide Tip Starter Set from Bosch is a diamond-dusted carbide tipped drill bit set for a power tool or hand drill that guarantees precise drilling in hard stone, tile, and masonry. Due to its softened shank, these Carbide drill bits provide awesome gripping; while brazing for high temperature helps the bits last longer as well. Because of its milled u-shaped flutes, it can remove dust faster too.
CRAFTSMAN DRILLING AND DRIVING ACCESSORY KIT
The Craftsman Drilling And Driving Accessory Kit is a giant 100-piece drill bit set that combines pretty much every kit needed for household projects. With bits like driver bits, spade bits, and nut drivers, few drill bit sets can come close to the utility of this set. It is best suited for nearly every service, starting from plastic and wood to metal, as well as being a masonry bit.
How To Choose The Best Drill Bits
When buying your drill bits, keep in mind the following things:
The drill bits can be made out of a number of materials. Among them, the most common are High-Speed Steel (HSS), Cobalt, and Carbide. High-Speed Steel is your regular, everyday drill bits used in household and regular maintenance work. Cobalt, on the other hand, is mixed in a 5-8% solution with a base material to make it sturdier. The best cobalt drill bits are most suited for a bit tougher surfaces like stainless steel. Carbide is the toughest of the three bits, and also the most brittle. Carbide bits are used for the toughest surface, like hard metal, masonry, or concrete.
Drill Point Coatings
Drill point coatings are important not only for efficiency but for the longevity of the drill points as well. There are many coatings available in the market, for example, black oxide, TiN, TiCN, bright etc. Some of them, like TiN and TiCN, help bits last longer and also drill smoother in surfaces like stainless steel. Black oxide, on the other hand, is best for non-ferrous surfaces. Bright coating and subsequent wood drill bits are most suited for wood and plastic surfaces. Choose your coating according to your need so that you don’t regret it later.
Two basic flute designs are common – standard and parabolic. Standard ones with a 30-degree angle are the most common, while parabolic ones help remove materials from the hole for a cleaner, more precise drilling.
Drill Point Angle
Among the two basic standards – 118-degree and 135-degree, the first one is the more common one, while the second one is more suited for surfaces like stainless steel to prevent walking.
Drill Point Lengths
The Efficiency of a drill bit depends a lot on the length of the drill point. The rule of thumb is that the shorter the drill, the better the drilling. There are a number of popular drill point lengths, including screw machine length, jobber, taper, and mechanics length.
What To Consider When Buying The Best Drill Bit
Why are you buying your drill bits? Is it for professional use or casual household use? For one purpose, the best cobalt drill bits might be for you, while for another, you might need the stainless steel drill bits. You should choose your drill bit based on your intended use, or you will surely be disappointed.
The drill bits usually come in a rubber, plastic, or in some cases metal box. Before buying them, make sure the box fits your storage space. You wouldn’t want a huge box full of drill bits crowding your kitchen when all you wanted was a set for household use, right?
This is very, very important. Before buying a drill bit, absolutely make sure that they fir your drill machine. Or else, what is the point of ending up with a set of drill bits that don’t fit into your machine?
It is usually better to buy drill bit from popular brands like DeWalt, Bosch, or Black & Decker, to name a few, as they are widely available and easy to replace in case they break off.
Benefits of Using Drill Bits
Make Holes With Ease
You’ll need to make holes on various surfaces for many reasons. To install electric wiring, to set up a plumbing system, to redecorate your floor panel, heck, even to fix your computer to name a few. Drill bits make clean, precise holes with ease, and save you a lot of time and effort.
Cheap And Widely Available
One of the best things about drill bits is that they are quite cheap compared to many other tools, and easily replaceable. You’ll find the same size bits from a hundred different manufacturers, albeit in varying qualities. And they are available in pretty much any hardware store almost anywhere in the world!
Are you a professional tradesman? Or are you looking to do simple handyman chores around the house? Maybe you are a DIY enthusiast? No matter which one you are, drill bits are for you to make new things out of nothing, for pleasure or maybe for a purely professional purpose.
Many Sizes, Many Holes
The drill bits come in so many sizes and shape that you can make pretty much any sized hole you want with them. With so many varieties, your choices are practically endless to let your creativity run wild!
Best Drill Bits Reviews in 2018
1. IRWIN TOOLS HIGH-SPEED 29-PIECE METAL INDEX SET
The Irwin Tools High-Speed 29-Piece Metal Index Set is best suited for drilling tougher metals like hardened steel. It is made out of industrial grade steel consisting of cobalt alloy at 8% and is the best cobalt drill bits.
The best feature about this drill bit is that being abrasion-resistant, it starts with the drilling right away using less force, and gets rid of the much annoying ‘walking’ of the bit across the surface.
- Includes 29-piece drill bit set
- Drill bit measures start at 1/16 with increments per 1/64-inch
- Cartridges are removable
- Remodeled rubber case saves kit from a sudden drop
- One of the top drill bits for stainless steel
- The bits can get dulled a bit too quick
- Some of the bits can come in a slightly mismatched measure
2. DEWALT DW1361 TITANIUM PILOT POINT 21-PIECE SET
Whether you are using a hammer drill, a drill driver, a rotary drill, a power drill, or a generic drill set, the DW1361Titanium Pilot Point 21-Piece Set from DeWalt is your best friend when it comes to drilling in materials like plastic and wood. Its titanium points guarantee longer life as long as you are not drilling on ferrous metals. It is excellent for both residential and commercial use.
- Titanium points for longer bit life
- Greater durability due to tapered web
- 21-piece set with sizes starting from 1/16-inch up to 1/2-inch
- Tough, plastic case for carrying around the set
- Using on metal can dull the bits very quickly
- The latch to the carrying case can be troublesome at times
3. DEWALT DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set
Another great product from DeWalt, the DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set is a 14-piece set designed for drilling into plastic and wood. With sizes starting at 1/6-inch up to 1/2-Inch, these drill bits are great for using both for professional and personal purposes.
- 14-piece, titanium point bits
- Eliminates pin shanks
- Tapered web reduces breaking
- Lasts longer on non-ferrous surfaces
- The plastic case is a bit too big in size
- The bits can heat up pretty high, making it hard to change them frequently
4. CRAFTSMAN DRILLING AND DRIVING ACCESSORY KIT
Why settle for different kits for different purposes when you can have an all-purpose, 100-piece kit? The Craftsman Drilling And Driving Accessory Kit do exactly that – combining pretty much every kit needed for household projects. With bits like driver bits, spade bits, and nut drivers, few top quality drill bits can compare with this.
- 100-piece set
- Best suited for metal, plastic, wood, and masonry
- Driving bits include Phillips, Torx, and flat
- A built-in folding case with storage compartments
- Most of the bits are nearly identical, thus not suitable for different purposes
- The interior of the case is a bit loose – so the bits scatter inside quite often
5. DEWALT DW5207 7-PIECE PREMIUM PERCUSSION MASONRY SET
If your primary goal is to drill into rough and tough surfaces like concrete and masonry, then the DW5207 7-Piece Premium Percussion Masonry Set from DeWalt is the perfect fit for you. It has a special design that comes with an enlarged flute. The benefit? Get debris away from the hole faster than ever. The bits are made out of rock carbide, by the way.
- 7-piece bit set
- Masonry Bit
- Rock carbide ensure a longer life for bits
- Quick debris removal with four-flute design
- German made
- No bit slipping because there’s no spin shank
- The packaging can be a bit underwhelming
- Removing bits from the sleeve can be a little bothersome at times
6. Black & Decker 15557 Drill Bit Set
Targeted more towards DIY enthusiasts than heavy, commercial users, the 15557 Drill Bit Set from Black & Decker is great 10-piece bit set that are not only the best wood boring drill bits but suitable most for metal and plastic surfaces as well. Designed to be used with drills having 3/8” chuck, these wood drill bits come in sizes ranging from 1/16-inch to ¼-inch.
- 10-piece set with most popular bit sizes included
- Bit bar included for ease of storage
- Fits in small toolboxes or drawers easily
- Smaller bits can break off quite easily
- The bits do not fit all drills universally
7. CO-Z 5pcs Hss Cobalt Multiple Hole 50 Sizes Step Drill Bit Set with Aluminum Case
The CO-Z 5pcs Hss Cobalt Multiple Hole 50 Sizes Step Drill Bit Set with Aluminum Case is not your average drill bit set. With titanium-coated cobalt steel material and twin-flute design, it is durable and long-lasting. It can drill through steel and aluminum sheets with ease.
- 5-piece set that can replace 50 individual bits
- One of the top drill bits for stainless steel
- Bits prevent walking and drill precise holes
- Bits are kept in easy to carry, well-organized case
- Compatible with different chunk sizes – ¼-inch, 3/8-inch, and ½-inch
- Accompanying aluminum case not very bit-friendly
- Not suitable for harder metals like stainless steel
8. BOSCH TI18 18-PIECE TITANIUM TWIST
The Ti18 18-Piece Titanium Twist from Bosch is a tool that can increase your productivity manifolds. Its speed helix architecture can drill 3-times faster than regular drills, and come with the best drill bits for stainless steel. The titanium-covered bits last longer than most other bits. Its double flute design ensures precise drilling without the annoying vibrations.
- Titanium coating reduces heat and ensures longer life
- Speed helix build offers 3-times drilling speed
- Reduced vibration and chatter because of balanced twin-flute
- Suitable for a number of surfaces like stainless steel
- A bit pricey compared to similar products
- The smaller bits can break off quite easily
9. TEKTON 2841 ELECTRONIC REPAIR SCREWDRIVER BIT SET
The Tekton 2841 Electronic Repair Screwdriver Bit Set is a monster set that comes with 105-piece screwdriver bits and 22-piece precision bits. The non-slip rubber grip can work with pretty much any fastener out there – starting with your everyday mobile devices to eyeglasses and wristwatches.
- A huge 127-piece set
- Can deal with almost any everyday fastener
- Particularly designed for electronic devices
- Includes pentalobe bits compatible with Apple products
- No triangle bits for less-conventional fasteners
- The smaller bits can turn into corkscrews under too much force
10. BOSCH HCBG500 BLUE GRANITE CARBIDE TIP STARTER SET
Our last pick is a fast impact drill from Bosch – the HCBG500 Blue Granite Carbide Tip Starter Set. Last but not least, its diamond-dusted carbide tip guarantees precise drilling in hard stone, tile, and masonry. Due to its softened shank, this masonry drill bit provides incredible gripping power. And the brazing for high temperature helps the bits last longer too.
- Faster dust-removal because of milled u-shaped flutes
- Aggressive gripping capability
- Best for masonry, tile, and hard stone
- ANSI-standard bits
- Diamond-ground tip offers longer life
- No carrying case included
- The shanks are round, not flat-surface ones like some of its market competitors
As for our recommendation, we love the Craftsman Drilling And Driving Accessory Kit for its sheer collection of 100-piece bit set. It covers pretty much every purpose you might need and can work one surface ranging from plastic to masonry.
For ultra-durable drill bits, it is hard to beat the Bosch HCBG500 Blue Granite Carbide Tip Starter Set. It is primarily designed for drilling hard stones and masonry and come with a diamond-dusted carbide tip.
Drill bits are more or less a necessity in every tradesman’s toolbox. They are also essential items for household maintenance and even DIY enthusiasts. If you’re looking for the best drill bits – be it the best drill bits for wood or for any other surface to serve your purpose effectively and efficiently, pick one from our list, and we guarantee that you won’t be disappointed.