What is a crib without the best crib mattress?
We all want the best for our little ones and to me, a comfortable and firm crib mattress that provides relief from all aches and pains and contours and supports these little bodies are of vital importance.
Our Favorites Baby Crib Mattress:
I can surely recommend the Naturepedic No-Compromise Organic Cotton Ultra 252. What I like most about this mattress is the fact that it is organic and completely non-toxic, it also comes with a 100% organic cotton cover.
By far the best baby crib mattress is the Newton Crib Mattress which is lightweight and comfortable and contains no allergens or chemicals.
The Colgate crib mattress is also one of the best mattresses for the baby crib that I would recommend you consider.
Best Crib Mattress for 2018 – Summary
How To Choose a Baby Mattress?
Choosing a baby bed mattress that is best for your little one depends on quite a few factors. You will need a different density mattress for an infant than a toddler, most crib mattresses come with dual sides for both infants and toddlers. It is critical that you also first measure your crib to make sure the mattress fits.
Here are a few considerations before purchasing a crib mattress for baby;
A. The Size of the Mattress;
• Most baby bed mattresses fit a standard sized crib.
• Larger mattresses are available for larger cribs.
• Make sure to take the measurements of your crib or toddler bed and compare it to that of the mattress.
B. Type of mattress for baby or toddler;
• For an infant, you will need a firmer mattress while a softer and plusher mattress is needed for a toddler.
• A toddler also needs a mattress that is more resilient.
• For an infant breathability is a safety feature that is critical, the mattress should allow enough airflow should the infant land up on their tummy.
• Almost all of the best baby mattress for cribs have a waterproof cover that can be wiped clean which is more hygienic and keeps liquids out.
• Safety features such as flame retarding and non-toxic materials are used in most mattresses.
• Organic materials or organic cotton covers are also an option in some of the best available babymattresses.
• There is also a choice between foam or coil springs as filling for the mattress.
• Most of the baby crib mattresses are free from chemicals, lead, phthalates and other harmful substances or allergens.
• There is also the choice between coil springs or foam for the interior of the mattress.
• You can choose from organic or synthetic materials.
• Most of the best baby crib mattress contains no toxic or harmful materials and are allergen free.
• Almost all of the baby mattress has a waterproof cover and some have an organic cotton cover.
These are only a few of the most important factors to keep in mind when choosing the best mattress for your little one.
What Are The Benefits of Using Crib Mattress For Babies?
The benefits of using the best baby mattress for your infant or toddler are endless. Any good crib needs a good mattress and the comfort and well-being of your little one particularly when they are sleeping is what matters the most.
Here are a few benefits that you can be certain of when you purchase the best mattress for baby cribs;
A. Your baby will be well rested and sleep much better on a proper baby mattress.
B. a baby crib mattress is not only comfortable but also offers excellent support for little backs and growing bodies.
C. The top mattress for baby cribs can also help to relieve aches and pains as well as prevent and help with indigestion and reflux.
D. A healthy and safe baby mattress for cribs made from non-toxic materials will prevent allergies and promote good health.
E. Most mattresses have a waterproof cover that is easy to clean and reduces the build-up of bacteria and other harmful germs.
F. You can choose between completely organic or synthetic materials.
G. The soft and plush side of a dual-sided mattress is best suited to a toddler while the firmer side is for infants, making these mattresses very versatile.
H. Most of the baby mattresses allows for airflow making them safer and more breathable for infants.
I. The best mattress for baby cribs is durable and keeps its shape.
J. Most baby bed mattresses will fit a standard crib or toddler bed.
You cannot go wrong with the best mattress for baby, you will give your little one a safe and healthy sleeping environment that is also comfortable and supportive promoting better sleep.
Ten Best Available Baby Crib Mattress Reviewed Below:
Here are a few of the best available crib mattresses that have excellent ratings and reviews. I can also personally recommend a few of these;
1. The Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress
This mattress has a high-density thermo-bonded core making it lightweight while still offering excellent support. The waterproof cover wipes clean easily and is hygienic and safe.
Greenguard certified meeting all the standards for the lowest chemical emissions the Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White is not only comfortable but safe as well.
- Firm and comfortable mattress.
- The cover is durable and good quality.
- The mattress fits very well.
- Resilient and good foam density.
- Too short for a standard sized crib.
- The mattress started tearing and coming apart after a few months.
- Small choking hazards.
2. The Sealy Soybean Foam Core Crib Mattress
The surface of the Sealy Soybean Foam Core mattress for baby is waterproof and stain resistant with a lock stitch binding to keep liquids from seeping inside.
Tested for safety and quality as well as durability and crib fit, the Sealy Soybean Foam Core baby mattress for cribs is a well trusted and proven brand.
- A firm mattress that doesn’t sing.
- Fits perfectly in a crib.
- No funny smells.
- Very durable and comfortable.
- The seams and outer layer rips and tears.
- One customer received a dirty and used product.
3. The Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Sleep Surface
Manufactured from medical grade fabric and certified to be non-toxic and flame retardant. The 100% waterproof and hypoallergenic material also makes the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Sleep Surface baby mattress for cribs is very easy to clean as well as safe and germ-free.
A product that you can trust that has gone through rigorous testing for only the best performance.
- Excellent dual sided densities.
- Comfortable and convertible mattress.
- Great fit for most cribs.
- Good customer support.
- A great investment.
- Perfect for infants.
- Great reviews and ratings on this product.
- Too short for some cribs.
- A defective product after a few months.
- Made from polyurethane.
4. The Naturepedic No Compromise Organic Cotton Ultra 252The Naturepedic Organic Cotton Ultra 252 Seamless is one of the most healthy crib mattresses that you will find and meets the strictest GreanGuard certification standards.
It features premium support with a stronger organic cotton cover and waterproof seams. The 252 coils, organic cotton, and edge support ensure absolute comfort and support while the non-toxic, easy to clean, waterproof surface helps to prevent bacterial growth and eliminates germs.
The Safety 1st Transitions Baby and Toddler Mattress is a certified organic mattress that is safe, comfortable and healthy!
- Has a dual purpose soft and firm side.
- Completely organic and non-toxic.
- Seamless construction.
- Very expensive.
- Heavy and difficult to change around.
5. The Safety 1st Transitions Baby and Toddler Mattress
The surface of the Safety 1st Transitions Baby and Toddler Mattress is PVC free and water resistant, you can easily wipe it clean. This mattress also fits all standard cribs and meets the federal flammability standards.
- Excellent quality and an affordable price.
- Firm enough yet still comfortable.
- Thick and does not bend.
- No strong smells.
- Very large and does not fit averagely sized cribs or toddler beds.
- No information provided on the mattresses’ content material.
6. The Newton Wovenaire
The Newton Wovenaire mattress for baby contains no foam, latex, springs, glue or allergens and the washable material prevents bacterial growth.
A very lightweight and comfortable mattress that I can most surely recommend, it is perfectly safe as well and very easy to breathe through should your baby land on their stomach.
- Very light weight and comfortable.
- The perfect size.
- Poses no choking or suffocation hazards.
- Good quality.
- Very easy to breathe through
- Very durable and long lasting.
- There is a case where a baby formed an allergic reaction towards the materials of the mattress.
- The zip tends to break easily.
7. The Simmons Kids Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Ultra Deluxe 2 in 1
A few great features of this mattress is its 231 luxury pocket spring coils for even support, the reinforced border protection Innofoam corners for better stability as well as the natural cotton fire protection wrap and superior woven fabric cover with a waterproof barrier.
- Firm and comfortable.
- Well-constructed and durable.
- No chemical smell.
- Very good quality.
- Mattress starts ripping and falling apart after a few months.
- Large dent in the center of the mattress.
- A very heavy mattress.
8. The Milliard Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed Mattress
- Very firm and comfortable.
- Fits perfectly in most cribs.
- Durable and good quality.
- Excellent reviews and ratings.
- Very affordable.
- Very strong chemical smell.
- The mattress cover does not last very long and starts peeling off.
9. The Dream On Me Spring Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress
Some of the excellent features are the foam insulating layer, lock stitched waterproof binding as well as the fire blocker layer, this mattress is also hypo-allergenic.
The perfect mattress for toddlers and older babies. I can most certainly recommend the Dream On Me Spring Crib and Toddler Mattress.
- A very good fit.
- Soft and comfortable.
- Many compliments on how durable and long lasting this mattress is.
- Excellent quality.
- Some great reviews.
- Does not offer the best support.
- Sinks in the middle.
- The plastic cover broke when kids jumped on the mattress.
In the End;
You will need to consider whether you need a crib mattress for a toddler or infant or both, also keep in mind whether you want an organic or synthetic mattress. I usually go for an organic option as it is the healthier choice.
The Newton is one that I would recommend it is free from any harmful materials and also has excellent breathability it is also waterproof and hypoallergenic.
The Naturepedic No-Compromise Organic Cotton Ultra 252is my first and best choice for the best crib mattress, it is completely organic and comes with a 100% organic cotton cover.
Lastly, I can also recommend the Colgate mattress for babies and toddlers as well as the DreamOn Me Spring Crib and toddler bed mattress, they are both comfortable and durable mattresses of excellent quality and manufactured from safe and hypoallergenic materials.