Parenting does not come easy – to ensure the maximum level of safety, health and hygiene for your baby, you may often ask yourself what is the best bottle sterilizer for babies? Here in this article, you find answers to just that!
After a thorough research, we have comprised for you the ultimate list of baby bottle sterilizers available today. Sterilizers use an ingenious steam technology to eliminate bacteria and other germs from bottles, toys, pacifiers and just about anything that goes in your baby’s mouth thus brings you peace of mind knowing you’ve taken all the necessary precautions to ensure your baby isn’t drinking germs.
While our top sterilizers effectively disinfect bottles and guarantee you a bacteria-free, hygienic experience, they are incredibly speedy at what it does – combining functionality and efficiency.
Best Bottle sterilizers in 2018 – Our Recommendation
1. Philips Avent Electric Steam Sterilizer
Philips is a well-renowned brand for all its electronic products thus it is of no surprise that their 3-in-1 electric steam sterilizer is also a favorite among its users and quickly gained a reputation as the best electric baby bottle sterilizer! At an affordable price, you are able to exploit many of the benefits of a sterilizer over the boiled method.
A convenient auto shut off eliminates most of your worries while the removable compartments allow for most baby items to be sterilized – all individually so you don’t have to run the whole sterilizer to sterilizer a pacifier for instance.
Meanwhile, it is space efficient although roomy enough to accommodate six bottles at a time – its flexibility and reliable cleaning are few of the many reasons why mothers love it so much!
2. Wabi Baby Electric Steam Sterilizer
If I were to include a section for the bottle sterilizer and dryer reviews, the Wabi electric sterilizer would be first on my list as it is on many of its users.
The multifunctional unit includes an option to dry the components after sterilization which happens to be an ideal function for many parents as single-handedly drying or waiting for bottles to dry is an added hassle.
The dryer is also not featured in most electric sterilizers. Although highly priced, it is understandable for the quality and convenient service it provides. Users are also provided with an effective timer that automatically shuts off when the entire process is over.
What to consider when Buying one?
To ensure smooth running and purposefulness, it is vital to ensure the characteristics that make an ordinary sterilizer the best quality bottle sterilizer for you according to your needs. It could be nerve-wracking to understand the ideality of a sterilizer thus these following points guide you towards a safe investment –
Ease of use
Considering the fact that you’d be using the sterilizer quite frequently, it is important to buy a device that would be easy to operate.
- Controls should be easily understandable
- There should not be too many keys to press when turning on/off the sterilizer.
Size of the sterilizer plays a great role.
- Firstly because you need to ensure that the space allowed inside the sterilizer can accommodate the number of bottles you wish to sterilize at once. You can find sterilizers allowing 4-9 bottles at a time.
- Secondly, because the machine should comfortably fit in a place most accessible to you. It is of the added hassle to have to take it out of a cabinet on a daily basis because it does not fit your countertop.
Sterilizers are found in a varied range of price. First and foremost, consider your budget and begin your search for a baby bottle sterilizer within that price range.
You will come across sterilizers that go an extra mile. These sterilizers first sanitize the bottles and then works as a dryer to blow off the remaining water drops on the body. Consider whether you’d have the machine dry it for you or air dry them. A top quality bottler sterilizers are ones that allow drying. Some sterilizers also work as a warmer and warms baby food and other feeding items.
There are two kinds of steam sterilizers that you can choose from – each that are differently operated. Consider the method easiest for you and one that saves time and effectively works according to your needs.
- Electric sterilizers – These use electricity to operate. Although comparatively large to store, the benefit of using an electric sterilizer is that they are quick and feature additional features such as drying rack. Due to the large size, they are also compatible with most types of bottles.
- Microwave sterilizers – This type of sterilizer needs to be placed in a microwave to begin sterilization. With this, sterilizing is cheaper than electric sterilizers and are usually space efficient.
Benefits of using a baby bottle sterilizer
While you could just wash and boil the infant’s products, it doesn’t entirely eliminate the necessary harmful elements the way a sterilizer does thus several parents have switched to sterilizing with a reliable sterilizer. Other than the satisfaction that comes with sterilizers, these are few other ways the bottle sterilizer should be your number one sterilizing equipment –
It is made of BPA-free materials thus incredibly safe. Moreover, they don’t pose any potential threat that for instance comes with leaving a pot of boiled water on the stove. Additionally, some sterilizers are even equipped with tongs for you to avoid the hazard of contacting the steamy items.
Sterilizers usually get the work done really quick – within 5-10 minutes you can expect your bottles, nipples and other pumping accessories to be ready for use. Although the ones built with a dryer may take 30-60 minutes to complete the process.
Most sterilizers claim to kill 99.9% of germs living in your baby’s bottles. Thus they effectively disinfect bacteria, unlike any other sterilizing method.
While they are quick and easy to use, an ideal feature for maximum convenience includes a smart timer or an auto shut-off feature. This added technology notifies you when the process is complete and automatically switches off the device afterward.
How to sterilize baby bottles?
While dishwashing and boiling is the most typical and cheapest way of sterilizing baby bottles, there are two other methods by which you can sterilize using a bottle sterilizer.
Electric bottle sterilizers use your electric power to run. You simply need to pop the accessories into the unit and press the button to begin the sterilization process. Later you only need to grab the bottles back.
Another way of sterilizing is with a microwave sterilizer. Here you need to pour in water in a microwave friendly basket and place the bottles and caps inside. You then pop the bowl in the microwave and leave it inside for the specific amount of time the model requires.
However, consider the following points for an appropriate, safe sterilizing –
- Follow manufacturer specifications for the different models
- Thoroughly clean the items in a dishwasher or by hand
- Place the items according to how the sterilizer unit requires
- Add the amount of water the manual states
- Leave bottles in the sterilizer for it to cool before you take it out
- Use tongs for safety and also to prevent transmitting germs from hand
- Let the bottles dry before use
How often should you sterilize?
Sterilizing is an extra step that mothers take but might not be all that necessary on a daily basis when an appropriate soap and boiling may do the work. However, there are few situations where it is recommended for you to sterilize –
- Before the first use – You don’t know where the bottles have been or what chemicals it has been showered with. Thorough sterilization is highly required before you use it for the first time.
- If it fell to the ground or trash or anywhere displeasing
- Check if it had remaining milk from previous use
- Your child goes to the daycare ?– It could be a well maintained day care but having your baby around strangers will require you to take extra measures to ensure clean, sterile feeding thus sterilizes weekly.
- Sterilize every other day for the first four months as that is when their immunity system is weak.
Top 9 Best Baby Bottle Sterilizer
1. Dr. Brown’s Deluxe Bottle Sterilizer
An attractively designed model that suits any kitchen décor and offers promising functionality. With easy to operate controls, it is as useful as it is fancy. It comes with additional accessories such as a tray and tongs thus further promotes its desirability. It is also spacious and accommodates fairly every size and shape of bottles.
- Quality performance
- Improved design that previous Dr. Brown models
- Bulky – take too much counter space
- Might not be durable
- Does not come with a dryer
2. Philips Avent Electric Steam Sterilizer
Although specifically designed for Avent bottles, the convenient removable compartment feature allows you to sterilizer nipples, pacifiers, and also most other branded bottles. Meanwhile, the slim and sleek model attempts to take the least counter space and room itself wherever you place it.
- Fits most spaces
- Features an auto shut off option
- Trusted brand
- Fast sterilizing
- Leaves items sterilized for about 24 hours with the lid closed
- Reasonably priced
- No drying feature
- Troublesome cord design
- Inconvenient on/off button
- May give off a strange plastic smell
3. Philips Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer
The BPA-free model is incredibly safe and stress-free when it comes to sterilizing – it promises a two-minute sterilization although results in thorough cleaning. Being lightweight, it contributes to convenient storage and portability.
- Ideal for travel
- Easy to use
- Quick sterilization
- Easy to store
- Mostly works for Avent bottles
- Gets too hot to handle
- Does not feature a dryer
4. Wabi Baby Electric Steam Sterilizer
Combining resourcefulness and convenience, the Wabi sterilizer ingeniously includes an operative dryer, unlike most sterilizers. Additionally, it offers space for up to 8 bottles together while a smart sensor indicates when your items are sterilized, dried and ready to use!
- Offers variable drying settings
- Reliable cleaning
- Simple operation
- Greatly spacious
- Allows previous settings to be saved
- Sterilization process takes about half an hour
- Takes a lot of counter space
5. Munchkin Steam Guard Electric Sterilizer
Parenting more than one kid may seem like a nightmare considering the number of times you can to individually clean each of their bottles and other utensils. With the capacity of storing 9 bottles at once, the Munchkin steam sterilizer is a great option to get more done quickly. It also comes with an adjustable unit to fit in any size of bottles and safety gears such as tongs.
- Offers large capacity
- Adjustable rack
- Securely holds items placed inside
- Allows auto shut-off
- Quick process
- Large to store
- Monotonous design
- The machine requires extra cleaning
6. TommeeTippee Electric Steam Sterilizer
The compact model allows for an average of five to six bottles at a time however suitable for multiple bottle brands. With BPA free materials, interestingly TommeeTippee offers its buyers with a complete set that includes a bottle, nipple tongs, a pure soother and a formula dispenser.
- Easy cleaning
- Plenty of space for pumping accessories
- Quiet processing
- Holds most brands
- Large in size
- Steam does not evenly distribute in the bottles
7. The First Years Power of Steam Electric Steam Sterilizer
The tall tower fan like design allows the use of multiple bottles and toys at once and provides sterile cleaning as the steam ideally spreads and penetrates into every item. With BPA free materials, it is safe to use. Conversely, removable built-in drying racks call for a hassle-free experience.
- Well priced
- Good quality
- Easy to clean
- Quick steaming
- Difficult to take water tray out
- Hard to manage all racks
8. Baby Brezza Sterilizer Dryer
While being incredibly aesthetically appealing, it also offers simultaneous sterilization and drying which is a number one requirement for working parents who don’t want to waste time drying bottles. The Baby Brezza sterilizer can also be used for bottle storage when not in use.
- Effortless operation
- Indicates if there isn’t enough water for proper sterilizing
- Works satisfyingly
- Variable time setting
- There may be a leakage
- Rust builds up under the device
9. Munchkin Microwave Steam Guard
A small, compact design allows for easy storage around in place in your house. It’s fast and quick sterilization only needs seven ounces of water and four minutes microwaving to fully disinfect 99.9% bacteria. Meanwhile, a well-gripped latch prevents and potential accidents.
- BPA, PVC, latex, phthalate free
- Stores in most places
- Made with premium quality plastic
- Uses less energy
- No indication that sterilization is complete
- Not compatible with tall bottles
Little ones are extremely sensitive as to what gets in their mouth and lives in their digestive system, therefore, it is highly recommended to pick the best bottle sterilizer for your baby and opt for a trusted, dependable brand.
Considering the points outlined in this article and studying the pros and cons and specifications of each mentioned sterilizer will pair you with the idealistic sterilizer that will meet your needs and live up to your expectation while being highly resourceful. You may also be considering purchasing a good quality sterilizer and warmer that sterilizes whatever you need and correspondingly warms baby food or milk too.
A personal favorite is the Wabi Baby Electric Steam Sterilizer. This sterilizer brings together the ultimate functionality and flexibility. With the spacious unit, you are able to get done with a week’s worth of work in a couple of minutes – storing up to 8 bottles peruse.
They also house most bottle brands and thoroughly cleans them. Although my favorite function is the drying unit that eliminates the need for you to wait for the water mist to evaporate which may seem like a nightmare for busy parents. While the timer is an attractive feature, the option to save previous settings enhances the desirability of the product.