The first thing that comes to your mind after hearing the words bean bag chairs is probably comfort, right?
Reputed for providing the comfiest, relaxing sitting experience, bean bag chairs are coming back into fashion after a long time. Not just for dorm rooms or bachelor pads anymore, bean bag chairs are now part of the home decor and style statement.
Since you are here for the best bean bag review, we are not going to disappoint.
- Best Bean Bag Chairs in 2018 – Comparisons
- What Is a Bean Bag Chair?
- 3 Famous Bean Bag Chairs
- How To Choose A Bean Bag?
- What Are The Benefits Of Using A Bean Bag Chair?
- 10 Best Bean Bag Chairs Reviewed in Details Below:
- 1. Big Joe Dorm Chair
- 2. Big Joe XL Fuf in Comfort Suede
- 3. Cozy Sack 3-Feet Bean Bag Chair
- 4. Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
- 5. Big Joe Lumin SmartMax Fabric Chair
- 6. Fatboy the Original
- 7. Jaxx Sofa Saxx Bean Bag Lounger
- 8. Big Joe Milano Chair
- 9. Oversized Solid Brown Bean Bag Chair
- 10. Cozy Sack 8-Feet Bean Bag Chair
- Our Recommendation
Best Bean Bag Chairs in 2018 – Comparisons
What Is a Bean Bag Chair?
Did you know that bean bag chairs were invented only around 50 years ago? In 1969, a team of Italian designers was experimenting with chair designs to cater to the mood and fashion of the 60’s generation. The first designs of these chairs were pear-shaped, and thermocol pellet fillings. Bean bag chairs have come a long way from there, with a variety of designs and shapes being available today.
A. Bean Bag Chair Types Based On Size
Based on the circumference, that is the measurement of all the way around the chair, best bean bag chairs can be of four types. These are:
✓ Kids’ Bean bag chair
Usually designed for kids, these durable bean bag chairs for kids measure around 120 inches on the circumference. These are the smallest size you will find in the market.
Large ones measure up to 140 inches and are designed for adults with a little wiggle room.
✓ Extra Large
If you are really tall like over 6 feet then the extra large bean bag chairs are for you. These measure around 150 inches on the circumference. These are the bean bag chairs you usually see in people’s rooms – large enough to sit comfortably and move your arms and legs around.
✓ Double Large
The mother of all bean bag chairs, the double large chairs have no maximum limit for size, and often look quite different from your usual ideas of a standard chair.
B. Bean Bag Chair Types Based On Shape
When it comes to shapes, bean bag chairs can be quite versatile. Some common forms include:
The most common bean bags are round in shape and are suitable for activities ranging from relaxing after a hard day’s work to watching movies and using computers.
Often confused with ottomans, square bean bags chairs were traditionally used as footrests. However, nowadays these chairs have been gaining popularity and replacing wooden chairs and sofas.
✓ Game chairs
Designed for computer gaming enthusiasts, these chairs offer more ergonomic support than most other bean bag chairs. A bean bag chair for gaming has great back support and the usual comfort of bean bag chairs.
✓ Novelty chairs
These come in all sizes, shapes, and colors, and are aimed at both kids and adults. These durable bean bag chairs for kids can be shaped like animals, can have a variety of colors, and be insanely versatile in size.
3 Famous Bean Bag Chairs
Round Bean bag Chair
For the classic round bean bag chair, our top pick is the Cozy Sack 3-Feet Bean Bag Chair. It is medium in size, very comfortable, and comes with microfiber covers that can be taken off and washed with ease.
There are safety zippers for children, and the chair will change in shape to accommodate you. The whole thing takes 3-feet by 4-feet space, making it perfect for you if you have limited storage.
Square Beanbag Chair
Big Joe makes our top pick for square bean bag chair with its Dorm Chair model. The reputed manufacturer’s patented SmartMax Fabric will save you from stains and water splash.
The bean bags inside are encased in double zippered covers and are easily changeable. There are pockets on the sides to keep anything you fancy – from water bottles and books to mobile phones.
The Big Joe Dorm Chair also has handles on tops to better portability, making it a top-notch bean bag chair for everyday use.
Novelty Bean bag chair
The one word most people use to describe the Cozy Sack 8-Feet Bean Bag Chair is – HUGE! This oversized chair from Cozy Sack can double as a chair, couch, or even a makeshift bed. You can accommodate three to four people in it easily, and the covers are very easy to clean. As far a novelty bean bag chairs go, it is hard to beat this 8-Feet Bean Bag Chair.
How To Choose A Bean Bag?
Unlike a lot of other products, bean bag chairs come with a pretty standard design and a common purpose – to help you sit comfortably. Nonetheless, there are some factors that indeed make some bean bag chairs more suitable for you than others. In this section, we will look into some of those factors.
➧ Look and feel:
One thing that differentiates bean bag chairs from regular chairs is that unlike regular chairs, bean bag ones do not just act as pieces of furniture in a room. They actively contribute to the overall style and look of a room. For this reason, make sure that the chair you are looking fits your decor, the color is not too loud, and blends with the other furniture with ease.
Keep your budget in mind before committing to any particular brand or design. The price of bean bag chairs can range between $10 for regular ones to several hundred dollars for a bean bag for gaming based on the material, brand, and design. Make a mental note of your budget before sifting through models and shop accordingly.
Before buying a particular beanbag chair, make sure that all the materials used – both inside and out, suit your taste. Some people, for example, can be allergic to furs. Any bean bag chair using an exterior based on fur would be a disaster for them!
We recommend expanded polystyrene for the materials on the inside. This is because it is both comfortable and easily replaceable after wear and tear from prolonged use. For the materials on the outside, leather is always a good choice, but if that is out of your budget, you can go for faux leather as well.
Looking into the design of any particular bean bag chair can seem trivial. What’s there to see? It’s a chair designed to sink in when sitting, right? Though that may be the general case, some people like a bean bag chair that sinks just a little, while some prefer chairs that almost wrap themselves around the person sitting. Buy a product that suits your own particular taste, rather than going for the trend.
➧ Medical conditions and fitness:
For people with medical conditions like a sore neck or a bad back, choosing a bean bag chair may be a bit tricky. The simple solution is to look for bean bag chairs on a little firmer side – that is to go for a product that provides the comforts of a bean bag chair but comes with a little bit of added firmness to help with the medical conditions. There is bean bag chair with back support as well for you to choose from.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Bean Bag Chair?
✔ More Comfort
Without any doubt, bean bag chairs offer more comfort than regular chairs. Imagine coming home after a long day and just sinking into the soft, warm comfort of a bean bag chair.
Numerous trees get chopped down every year to provide for wooden chairs. Bean bag chairs, on the other hand, use mostly synthetic materials, like the expanded polystyrene as mentioned above. By using these chairs, you too can contribute to saving the environment.
✔ Fashion Statement
Bean bag chairs can contribute greatly to the decor of any room. With a bit of a wasteful purchase, you can turn a bean bag chair into a style statement for your room.
✔ Medically Beneficial
Contrary to the popular myth, bean bag chair can come with medical benefits too. It can help with a backache, headache, and the general stress that gets accumulated from sitting for too long. Not all bean bag chairs are ergonomically beneficial though – you have to keep an eye open while buying your product to get the perfect bean bag chair.
10 Best Bean Bag Chairs Reviewed in Details Below:
1. Big Joe Dorm Chair
Also, the chair is made from materials that are 100% recyclable, making it as environmentally friendly as it is comfortable.
- Great portability, weighs only 4 pounds
- Comes with handles to move it around easily
- Covers are easy to clean
- Child safety zippers
- The fillings can flatten out pretty soon
- It can difficult to refill the pallets at times
2. Big Joe XL Fuf in Comfort Suede
The chair is filled with a mix of shredded foams and memory foams and measures around a huge 6 feet. Two to three persons can fit easily on this chair for watching movies, or just lounging around.
- Great size for a price
- Can be used as a makeshift bed
- Easy to store when not in use
- Very comfortable to just sit and relax
- Can be quite heavy at 65 pounds
- If you have a pet, the hair can attract hairs
3. Cozy Sack 3-Feet Bean Bag Chair
Unlike most other bean bag chairs where you need to fluff those after every use, urethane foam shifts back to its original shape after sitting up. This would mean less hassle and comfort for you!
- Available in two sizes – 3 feet and 5 feet
- The covers are easy to remove and clean
- Comes in stylish colors
- Can be a bit big for you if space is a concern
- Fluffing can be sometimes difficult
4. Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair
The Chill Sack Bean Bag Chair is filled with shredded, soft memory foams that make for a great sitting experience. The covers are double-stitched and very easy to clean.
- Large enough to lounge around
- Soft memory foams make it very comfortable
- Durable, double-stitched covers
- At 55 pounds, can be quite heavy to move around
- The foam can take some time to get used to
5. Big Joe Lumin SmartMax Fabric Chair
The chair is filled with Big Joe’s patented UltimaX beans, which can be refilled with ease and bought separately.
- Safety locking feature for bean bags
- Covers are easy to clean from water spill and stain
- Great comfort given its 3-feet size
- Weighs only 9.9 pounds, making it easy to move around
- The chair can sometimes flatten out after little use
- Refill beans can be a bit too pricey
6. Fatboy the Original
Its polystyrene bead filling resides in covers that are water and water-resistant and can be cleaned by using a simple cloth wipe. Whether it’s your home or office, Fatboy the Original can be a fun piece of furniture to have.
- Can be assembled into pretty much any shape you want
- Lightweight enough to move around
- Comes in great colors and patterns
- Unlike regular bean bag chairs, has a stylish, glossy look
- Does not collect dust or fur
- It is a bit pricey compared to other bean bag chairs
- Since it is quite big, space can be a concern for you
7. Jaxx Sofa Saxx Bean Bag Lounger
The Jaxx Sofa Saxx Bean Bag Lounger is a great lounging option for both adults and kids with its professional grade foam fillings and durable, yet very soft covers. Its childproof zipper on the inside helps keep the foams from spilling out to give you the relaxing you deserve.
- Previously, the foams had to be filled by the consumer. Now they come pre-filled with polyurethane foams
- Machine washable covers
- Handy 3-feet size be fit in small spaces
- Can accommodate one adult or two children
- Its 20-pound weight makes it easy to move around
- Can feel a little tight compared to other bean bag chairs
- Changing the shape can be a bit difficult at times
8. Big Joe Milano Chair
- Very lightweight at 5 pounds
- Smart solution for limited space
- Made out of biodegradable materials
- Cheap in price compared to most other products in the same category
- The chair can sometimes go flat after little use
- In rare cases, the stitches can come off
9. Oversized Solid Brown Bean Bag Chair
Like most other best bean bag on this list, this Oversized Solid Brown Bean Bag Chair comes with a spill cover. The beans inside are secured with a metal zipper and are designed to give you the comfort you deserve after a day’s hard work.
- Takes very little space
- Lightweight – weighs only 12 pounds
- Stains can be removed using cold water
- Comes with a spill cover
- Upholstery made out of cotton twill
- The chair can sometimes go flat after little use
- The word oversized can be a little misleading
10. Cozy Sack 8-Feet Bean Bag Chair
The materials inside complement the chair tremendously as urethane foam makes for the softest sitting experience. You don’t need to fluff the foam either – it will revert back to their original size after you get up.
The chair can accommodate three to four adults comfortably, and can be used as a makeshift bed for guests, or even for you!
- Very spacious measures eight feet by four feet
- No need for fluffing
- Can be used as a chair, sofa, couch, or bed
- Easy to clean covers
- Not suitable for small spaces
- At 80 pounds, it is a bit too heavy to move around
As for our recommendation for top bean bags, our pick in the small and medium bean bag segment is the Big Joe Dorm Chair. It is suitable for both adults and children, very lightweight at around 6 pounds. It also comes with handles to move it around easily and has pockets around the sides to keep things like phones, books, or drinks.
Among large bean bag chairs, Fatboy the Original is hard to beat with a very chic, sleek design. It can be a great addition to both your home and office and can be assembled into pretty much any shape you want.
And finally, we are in love with the huge Cozy Sack 8-Feet Bean Bag Chair both for its comfort and versatile usability. As far as extra large bean chairs go, this is as comfy as it gets. It needs no fluffing either – you can just lounge around and relax.
Nothing says welcome home after a day’s hard work better than a simply lounging around in a soft, comfy bean bag chair. To buy the best bean bag chairs, take a look at your room, decide on what size and model would fit you best and pick one from our list. Keep your budget in mind, and make sure the materials used are of good quality. You can also consider other factors like ease of cleaning, whether the chair requires regular fluffing and availability of materials for refilling the bean bags. We assure you, a good bean bag chair will give you comfort like never before because you deserve it!